Because many business bloggers have a fairly narrow subject range, it can often be hard to come up with new ideas on the same topics. Here’s one method to quickly generate a whole list of ideas:
Let’s kick it off with a simple “Instructographic” ?
Want the details? Keep reading below…
Step 1) Choose a word you want to write about
This could be:
- Such as one of your blog post categories
- A keyword you want to rank for
- A word from one of your products or services that you want to promote
Step 2) Plug it into a quick and easy phrase generator
Use Keyword Research Tools like ubersuggest ensure you use popular phrases in your titles.
While this is a whole subject in itself, let’s just say that using keywords that people search for in your titles is a good idea to improve your search engine rankings and get more traffic. I recommend UberSuggest as one excellent tool that uses Google keyword data to turn a single word (like meditation) into a ton of phrases (379 for “meditation”).
Next, you can turn these into titles using mind mapping or the “Rule of 7” below.
Step 3) Flesh it out with the “Rule of 7”
Make Your Phrase Specific Enough to Be Covered in a Single Blog Post
In a blog comment moz.com, an ex-magazine editor Kelly Boyer Sagert, suggested this great methodology:
“I would often get sent ideas by writers that were way too broad for an article — and maybe even too broad for a book. Then, someone taught me the rule of 7 that I’ve been able to share with other writers. If you take a broad idea and narrow it down 7 times, it tends to become “article sized” or “blog post sized.” Here is an example:
- Level 1: dogs (see Step1 – pick a word)
- Level 2: pet dogs (see Step2 – ubersuggest)
- Level 3: activities for pet dogs
- Level 4: activities for pets dogs and their owners to enjoy together
- Level 5: exercising with your pet dog
- Level 6: exercising with your pet dog to lose weight
- Level 7: lose 10 pounds a month by exercising your dog
It usually works, as long as you actually narrow down an idea (rather than jotting down a related idea) and as long as you narrow down in a way that fits the end goal — meaning suitable for the blog in question.
So next time you’ve got a case of writer’s block, just follow these 3 simple steps:
- Choose a word (such as one of your blog post categories)
- Plug it into ubersuggest.org‘s quick and easy Google-based phrase generator
- Flesh it out with the “Rule of 7”
That’s it. You’ve got yourself a quick and easy recipe for a ton of killer blog post titles on any single subject.